We are joining the global campaign to raise awareness of kidney cancer. This year World Kidney Cancer Day will take place on 21st June 2018 and the KCSN are leading the campaign to raise awareness across the UK.
About World Kidney Cancer Day
World Kidney Cancer Q&A Day was established by the International Kidney Cancer Coalition (IKCC), a global body of over 30 patient organisations focused on improving the lives of people affected by kidney cancer. KCSN is an affiliate organisation of the IKCC, and Rose Woodward (co-founder of KCSN) is a founding member and volunteer board director.
On 21st June 2018, all around the world, patients, carers, their friends and supporters, health care professionals, and local kidney cancer organisations come together to raise awareness and start to answer those questions that will make a difference to stemming the growth of this cancer.
Our aim is to rapidly grow global awareness of kidney cancer and encourage people to share what they know about this disease. This year we have created a fun, interactive quiz using the latest technology, which allows people to take a selfie with green lips and share on social media to show their support for kidney cancer research.
Kidney cancer is a silent disease and one of the fastest growing cancers in the world. This steady rise in the incidence of kidney cancer is a global health risk and the International Agency for Research on Cancer projects a 22% increase from 338,000 in 2012 to 413,000 cases annually by 2020*.
More than 12,500 people are diagnosed in the UK each year. Although it is the 7th most common cancer in UK adults, it is still considered a less common cancer, and around 4,600 people die from kidney cancer each year.
Explanations are incomplete, but experts point to risk factors such as ageing, obesity, high blood pressure and smoking.
Raising funds for KCSN as part of World Kidney Cancer Day
Join thousands of patients and their families from around the world; what can you do to help us spread the word and save lives? We are looking for your lovely Go Green photographs showing us what you can do to support our kidney cancer community. Paint your fingernails green, bake a cake with green icing, wear a green hat, kiss off kidney cancer with green lipstick, or take a walk in our lovely green countryside. We would love to hear your green ideas and share your Go Green for Kidney Cancer photos on our website. Let’s show everyone how much we care and support each other. You will be helping the UK’s only patient-led and patient-managed kidney cancer charity. We are dedicated to supporting our fellow kidney cancer patients and their families.
Come and join us on the 21st June 2018
Donations can be made online through our JustGiving page here.
World Kidney Cancer Day in the media
Read our press releases here:
Other media activities include the following:
- The Chichester Observer ran a health feature on World Kidney Cancer Day 21 June featuring a patient from the KCSN and highlighting the global World Kidney Cancer Day campaign
- The Lancashire Evening Post ran a full page health feature on kidney cancer, highlighting Peter Flynn’s experience after giving blood helped to diagnose kidney cancer
- The Harborough Mail ran a front page story featuring Rebecca and James Dixon and the impact kidney cancer has had on their lives. This has also been Tweeted on their Twitter feed
- Steve, a patient from KCSN, spoke on BBC Radio Stoke last Friday highlighting kidney cancer and World Kidney Cancer Day
- Sarah, another patient from KCSN, spoke on BBC Radio Humberside on World Kidney Cancer Day (her interview can be found at 10.41 am). Sarah is a teacher with an incredible story to tell about how she was diagnosed after falling whilst on a school trip and broke her leg miles from home. Whilst being treated in the hospital she was diagnosed with kidney cancer
- Front page article on the NHS England intranet (internal website) for all its employees on World Kidney Cancer Day. This article has also been Tweeted by the NHS
- Corporate support from Legal and General at their Cardiff Office – fundraising for KCSN and promoting the World Kidney Cancer Day quiz by having a ‘Wear Green Day’, taking green lips selfies to display around the office, and raffle prizes.
The following groups/Ambassadors are all supporting our online campaign:
- @BAUNnurses British Association of Urological Nurses (BAUN)
- @SorayaVivian – Soraya Vivian, singer and songwriter (mostly Instagram)
- @NewLifeWriter– Malcolm Sinclair– writer
- @volewriter– Kate Long, best selling author and vole writer
- @FacingUp2KidneyCancer – Jon & Sarah Birchall, members of the KCSN and well known fundraisers for kidney cancer research
- @NIHRCRN_gman – the Clinical Research Network for Greater Manchester.