This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  RoseWoodward 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

RoseWoodward
    Keymaster

Hi

Jackie has posted her experience of getting travel insurance for holidays abroad on a post
    here….

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=489

The KCSN Tea

TRAVEL INSURANCE
    by Jackie on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:07 am

I have been requested to post my experience of travel insurance as a stage IV kidney cancer patient with bi lateral rcc.

We travelled to Mallorca twice this year covered by M.I.A. online travel insurance, they covered me for all eventualities for only £49 per fortnight! they also covered my husband who travelled with me for the same amount, so if there had been an ‘incident’ where by I had to be hospitilised or moved elsewhere he too would be covered to come with me!

I took their phone number off the website and phoned them as I do not like online questionaires, they phoned me back immediately and were so easy to deal with and helpful!

There are some places they will not insure you to travel to i.e. long haul! or cruises( unless you meet strict criteria regarding your illness) but there are so many places available that are covered.

Having some sun and relaxation abroad was the best thing I could have wished for in my 3rd year of fighting this disease and was so worth it!

Hope anyone wanting to insure at what I feel is a reasonable cost then try M.I.A.

and No I don’t get commision from them

Jackie x

The KCSN Tea

Thanks Jackie for sharing the information regarding travel insurance, it really is a great help as sometimes it can be difficult to obtain travel insurance. Not only that it can become quite a lengthy and laborious process to go through, with the many questions that need answering……..

We have had a few queries regarding this subject and so I am trying to pull together some useful information to help other patients who require insurance for their holidays.

Does anyone else have any information to add here on companies that they have found to be helpful in obtaining insurance, or indeed, companies they have found not to offer travel insurance for pre existing medical conditions such as kidney cancer.

It would be really useful if you can post up any information to add to Jackie’s that may help others who are going through a similar process of obtaining travel insurance.

Also, if you have come across any other specific problems whilst obtaining insurance then just let me know and we can try and cover them as we look at this area.

Many Thanks

Julia

Lynne
    Participant

Hi Julia,

I’m not in the same position as Jackie but only a year after my diagnosis and subsequent nephrectomy, the underwriters who provide the “free” annual travel insurance which came with my Bank account confirmed that I would be covered. My account is with Lloyds TSB but I believe other banks have the same sort of policies with their added value accounts. I had to phone and answer quite a lot of questions which could be uncomfortable but it was worth it to know 1) I was covered and 2) there was no additional premium to pay. I believe their criteria is linked to the amount of time that you have gone without treatment (6 months I believe was the magic timeframe). Although not available to everyone it is another alternative for those unlucky enough to have a cancer diagnosis but lucky enough to be stage 1, 2 or 3 and with no visible evidence of disease, especially as a lot of people have this extra benefit with their bank account and don’t use it. I would stress that it is important to phone though as the underwriters’ assurance that you are covered is needed and without this the policy could be invalid. It may be that even with evidence of disease that you could be covered too if they were happy with the risk.

Love and best wishes to all

Lynne

Mike B

Julia

My experience in trying to get travel insurance was not very satisfactory. I tried to get insurance in Jan this year for a proposed 1 week trip to Tenerife. I phoned up some numbers that I had obtained from the Macmillan website.

I think the problem for me was that at that point I was waiting to have my nephrectomy. The fact that I had a planned operation clearly was a major stumbling block and some insurance companies refused to even consider me.

I phoned one called All Clear insurance and their quote for a weeks cover was £920.42!

I phoned another called Insurecancer 01252 780195. I spoke to someone who said that the All Clear quote was outrageous, to be honest he sounded like a doctor and he asked a lot of detailed and relevant questions. He said that they would send a questionnaire to my oncologist and would determine the premium after this, he warned however that the cost would be “a few hundred pounds” but less than £500. In the event this was still too much for me and I decided not to go ahead with the trip.

Regards

Mike

Jackie

Mike

MIA cover Tenerife and I think Gran Canaria, worth giving them a ring if you think of going again, they also said I’d be covered in Cyprus but not in the Turkish area in the North.

Jackie

Mike B

Hi Jackie

Thank you so much for posting this. I have a week in Portugal planned early January and in view of my previous experiences I was going to take a chance and do this without insurance.

I have just phoned MIA and they have quoted me £44.50 which I was very happy to take them up on.

Thanks again. A great example of the the practical help that this forum can provide!

Regards

Mike

IWillBeatCan

Thank you so much for posting this, Rose and Jackie! Although I’m in the early stages of this disease, I’m a firm believer that you need to live life to the fullest. No matter what this condition may bring, I need to TRY to roll with the punches and have fun. With that said, I want to do some traveling in the next few months. Of course, I want to make sure I can get the best care if I just so happen to fall ill. I’m willing to pay quite a bit for it. I just hope that it doesn’t cost TOO much. I already have a decent safety net in terms of finances that I don’t want to break. 😆

Julia
    Participant

Hi All

Thank you so much for the responses above, it really is helpful as you can see for all patients.

I have also contacted some companies so that we can have as many options as possible for patients when taking out travel insurance.

As soon as I have all information back I will post up here, obviously the Christmas holidays have slowed everything down slightly!!!

Best wishes to all

Julia

hjb

HI All

I have just found reasonable cover with a company called ‘Insurancewith.com’. They were very helpful and there are no exclusions relating to the cancer. Is less than 6 months since my nepherctomy and I found some companies wouldn’t cover me.

The company MIA mentioned by others would offer cover -but only allow me to take out a policy 2 months prior to travel – and were more expensive. I also tried the British Insurance Brokers Association – they were helpful and put me straight through to a company called ‘All Clear’. Again they would provide cover but were more expensive – especially for Spain for some reason.

It’s taken a while but I am glad t o have it sorted and now can look forward to getting away.

Helen

Keith R46

My wife and I are going on a cruise around the Greek islands in October and having read some of the postings on this forum re travel insurance I thought I would have a look to see if we could get cover which included our pre-existing conditions. I tried M.I.A. but they wouldn’t cover us, the reason given was that the hospitals in Greece and turkey are so poor. I’ll try somebody else but I think we will go with the one we have used for the past however many years as my condition is fairly stable and my wife was given the all clear from her breast cancer. The cover doesn’t include the pre-existing conditions but does the job on everything else. Like a lot of things, it is a calculated risk.

Keith Rogers

Judith

Oh dear. I am flying to Australia in December, coming back February. I am a grade 4 I think, bone met in femur (cut out, stabilised), lung mets, to say the least. I probably go off the scale as far as insurance goes. I think even at best i might get insurance for non existing conditions.
    I am VERY interested to see what you come up with Jackie.

I think a CAMPAIGN is needed. From US to THEM (insurance industry, government). It really is a disgraceful situation.

Judith

Keith R46

Before renewing with the company I have used for years I tried this one taken from the fact sheet, InsureCancer Medi TravelCover Ltd. They would cover me no bother for the one week single trip for a premium of £600. Holidays are expensive enough without this added cost. It would seem to me that they do not assess the individual risk acurately enough.

Keith Rogers

Mike B

I note that moneysupermarket.com has launched a comparison website for those with pre-existing medical conditions. The idea is that you record your medical problems and then they search with a number of providers for the best quote

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/pre-existing-medical-conditions/?source=CRM-09D3D714&crmuserid=2245021|71254837|

Seems a good idea and might work for some although I have to say that an attempt to get cover for a week in Portugal ended up with a quote for me of £2100!!- but may be worth a punt

Mike

jacksbird19

Just crazy! I have/had an annual travel policy with BLUE Insurances through my travel agent. I phoned them today to tell them I had a nephrectomy in January because of a tumour which was contained and had not spread. No treatment required. “OK” he said “I’m sorry to tell you your policy is now null and void and we cannot cover your medical condition” PARDON!!!!!! Well now – what should I do? They guy said I would have to phone BLUE insurance company as he was only the medical screening department! WIll they refund 6 months premium as I only took it out in September? HELP – I am a regular citybreak traveller and have a big holiday booked to Side in Turkey in September………. :-(((

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.